Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Funny how lessons just develop . . .

It's funny how studying one topic, say....ohhhhh.....Ancient Greece can lead to robotics.

It started with the Minoans, which led to earthquakes and tsunamis, which led to volcanoes, which led to robots that are designed to explore volcanoes.

Today in co-op, I had the children erupt a volcano (we made them last week) and then design (filling out a special design form) and build a prototype for a robot they would use at home.

We are using parts of two unit studies I wrote when I owned Treasure Box Press. Hmmm, maybe I'll shorten the PDFs and share here. One is on earth science and the other on robotics--both come with a student work "book" and teacher's guide.

Anyhow, here is what dd did today.


The tried and true "build and erupt a volcano"--this one is always a favorite.


And her prototype robot based on a beetle and praying mantis that is designed to feed her anole and crickets (Can you tell this is not a chore she particularly likes to do--not sure the vet thing is going to work out, unless other office staff feed the animals!)

Please don't think we are always this organized and "projecty" in our homeschooling, today was co-op day.

They also did their tsunami activity my husband created back in 2004 after the Indonesia tsunami. And they did a Snickers bar/earthquake "lab", which was promptly followed by a Snickers-fest!








No comments:

Post a Comment