Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Visit to a Safety Crash Test Lab

We went to the Admitted Students Weekend at Kettering University this weekend.

We made the 11 hour trip by car and had a great time. It was our last car trip as a family, as G-man leaves in July for college and will be gone year round for the next 4 years. (Can you hear me crying and sniffling?)

We played games like "I'm thinking of a word" and Blurt.

We took the kids to IHOP and Golden Corral--we hadn't been to either restaurant in over 10 years.

Big Man and the kids swam each evening in the hotel pool.

It was so much fun, and I hated to see it end--very bittersweet. Many times over the long weekend, I reflected on how quickly the last 18 years have flown by--I had several teary moments--liken when I watched G-man leave us Friday night and head to the dorm to meet up with the other new students for an evening of capture the flag, ping pong, pizza, and a sleep over in the dorm.

Now . . .

On a more lighthearted note--we met a special family while at Kettering

They live at the Crash Safety Center. Part of the family greeted visitors (complete with a Welcome! sign) while dad and the youngest prepared for a ride on the testing sled. (Don't worry, they survived the test!)















The tour of the engineering classroom building was so much fun. It ended up being a fun field trip for our youngest (isn't it just like a homeschooling mom to turn a vacation into a homeschool field trip!)

The students have so many wonderful opportunities working on interesting projects. The grad student who served as the tour guide at the Crash Safety Center told us about test crashes they were conducting to gather data for a company needing info safety features in police cars.

I just think that is so fascinating!

I'm excited for G-man as he starts this new chapter in his life, but I have to admit, this is going to be a tough transition for mama.

Hug 'em close--18 years flies by!



2 comments:

  1. I have one graduating, too! (One already married) - that nest sure feels different without everyone in it. Beach pictures feel empty without all my boys! How do you do that? Take a family beach picture - and one isn't there?

    It sounds like your son has an awesome plan and a great place to grow into that plan! Wishing you graduation blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great trip. The Crash Safety Center looks really neat.
    Good luck to you getting through this big change. My oldest is only 11 and I'm already dreading the time when he won't be with us all the time.

    ReplyDelete