Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

A job loss related story or "How God provided a new car door"

We are still financially recovering from my husband's job loss in September of 2009.

(This is a an uplifting story of God's provision, so please hang in there . . . )

We cut back to the bone. We juggled. We reworked payment schedules. When I was in the grocery store, I literally added up every item I put in the cart to make sure I didn't go over $20--and, boy, did I learn to stretch $20 and a whole chicken!

There were nights when I woke up at 3:00 a.m. ANXIOUS--then couldn't go back to sleep, in a haze and very cranky all day. I hate it when I doubt God like that. Why do I do that?

Because I'm a Christian--He knows we are prone to these shortcomings, these doubts.

But God showed His abundant mercy and grace.

There is so much good that came out of this trial. While we are almost back on our feet, He still shows us how much 4 people out of billions on this planet are in His care.

I want to share this story of His amazing provision.

My son got a job then bought a car because he needs one to work while he's in college--working 6 months out of the year is required at school. When he purchased the car, they didn't check the locks on the driver side door, and the salesman did not disclose all the issues with the car.

I was worried about this door not locking business. The college told us during a recent family weekend visit that the students should only venture out in groups for 3 or more. This really made me worry about someone stealing his car, or hiding in the back seat, or stealing his laptop out of his car.

The week before we left for this college visit, my car, the "good" car in our household, died. Transmission overhaul--estimated at $3k to 5k. Given the job loss recovery, this would be a HUGE strain.

But we proceeded with the repair. During the two weeks of no car, I drove my son's car. I noticed that even the door handle wasn't working properly and knew that one day it, too, would break.

UGH, this really needed to be resolved before he went 750 miles away. But we barely had the money to fix my own car, let alone his. I thought back to the days when my parents paid for my car, my insurance, my repairs. Those were the prosperous 80s. These are much tougher times. But still, we felt so inadequate.

Then it happened, the handle on the driver's side door broke. Broken transmission. Broken door. "Great, what else is next? When will we ever not have something to worry over?" What a terrible, but human, response. Ugh! I'm embarrassed to admit it. But, there I said it, I was angry--feeling sorry for myself.

I prayed over this--"God help us to be good stewards of what you gave us. Help us to figure out how to fix this before he leaves in 8 weeks--I'm laying this at your feet, as you know what we need."

I got my car back, watched the bank account shrink by several thousand dollars, and watched my son crawl through the passenger side of his car to open the driver's side door. Well, at least now, if he locked the doors, no one can get in.

One problem solved another.

So, last night I was sitting up in my office Twittering. I heard my son yell up the stairs. This had to be important. Because if it wasn't, he'd just text me or message me on Facebook from downstairs.

He even walked up the stairs. This really had to be important.

He held a check in his hand. "It's from the university. $350 travel reimbursement for coming up there to visit!!"

"Ok, wait. Let's talk about this." I was really worried he'd go do a teenage thing, like buy souped up floor mats or rims for his car. Bowl it away or eat it away at Taco Bell.

He was exuberant. "I'm going to fix my door!!!"

I . . . . sat . . . dumbfounded. He did it again. God did it again. He provided--as He always does.

"You know son, this is a perfect example of God's provision. His hand was in this."

"I know, Mom. I will use it wisely. I'm going to get that door fixed."

I get teary-eye as I type this. God provided...again. As he has so many, many, many times.

There was the time last year when self-employment taxes were due. One day when I went to the mailbox there was a rebate from Blue Cross Blue Shield--because in 10 years we had never had a major claim. It was for $100 less than the total we owed. I cried right there on the driveway. "Forgive me God for doubting."

The three lines of scripture I have placed in my heart over the last few years:
(All from ESV)

The LORD is my strength and my shield;in him my heart trusts, and I am helped;my heart exults,and with my song I give thanks to him. Pslam 28:7

Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act.
Psalm 37:4-6

Psalm 40:2
He drew me up from the pit of destruction,out of the miry bog,and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.

Laying it all at his feet.

Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by and now following via Mustard Seed Planting. You have no idea how I can relate to this post ~ been going through similar circumstances the past few years!
    Blessings to you,
    Jill @ Sweet Diva
    http://sweetdivamj.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! God provides in amazing ways and when we see him in our children's hearts....it is exhilerating!!! Many Blessings!!! Thanks for linking up today...your post has really touched my heart!

    ReplyDelete