Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011


I'm linking up as part of the MOB Society's Boy Mom Blog Hop (#BMBH on Twitter).

Welcome to my blog--Greek Roots in American Soil. I selected that name because I am of Greek descent and was born and raised in the USA.

I blog about family and homeschooling. I first started blogging in 2004 (until 2008) on homeschoolblogger.com, but took a break because I found it was consuming my life. Several years later, I am back to blogging, but with a different expectation of how often I will blog. (Honestly, I prefer to visit other blogs--I learn so much more from reading other blogs than I learn from writing my own!)

When I'm not blogging, I am a wife and a mother to two--18 and 10. We live in a tiny town in NC--it's almost like Mayberry. I am the Director of Marketing for Apologia Educational Ministries, Inc. and can honestly and wholeheartedly say, I LOVE MY JOB! I am so very blessed to work for Apologia.

Here is my son. He's 18 and leaving for college. So, why participate in the BMBH? Well, although I *may* have thought at some fleeting moment when I was frustrated over his pile of clothes in the middle of the family room floor, "Hey, he's graduated, my work is done?", our work as his parents, his prayer warriors, his refuge--is not done. I find myself praying even more for him--he's driving on his own--farther distances, going off with friends more, will be traveling over 750 miles away to college. I won't be there at college to yell after him, "Don't walk in the parking lot alone late at night!" , "Drive defensively. Expect the other driver to do something crazy." (Which has happened to him once already.) Yep, my Lego-building, cape wearing, Matchbox carrying, robot crazy little boy may be of legal age, but he continues to need prayer, guidance, and lots of love.

Two of his favorite books were Backyard Ballistics (every boy should make a potato cannon!) and The Hobbit. He loves to read about current events, and I highly recommend that as your boy gets older, you use current events to teach a christian worldview. Help them to read the news and anaylze it--not to take it at face value. I love having conversations with my son about politics. It's even more rewarding when he comes up to me and says, "Hey, do you know that some people still think he's doing a good job and would vote for him again--after he's done ....."

Thank you for visiting my blog during the Mom Boys Blog Hop! Now, onto the next blog . . .

7 comments:

  1. What a cute blog Michelle - I totally didn't know you had one!! (I thought when you mentioned a blog - it was the Apologia one) !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    You are so right -- even after our kids are out of the home and even married, we never stop having concerns and praying for them.

    We just moved from SC to TN -- spent most of our married lives in SC and loved it there. It's a beautiful drive through NC to TN as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has kids who won't "just smile" for the camera, LOL!! ;-)
    I'm looking forward to researching Apologia for my DD, as we start homeschooling 'officially' in a few weeks. Kindergarten, here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from the MOB Society. It is great to meet you. You are so blessed to have been able to homeschool your boys, we hope to do the same. Our boys are much younger and it is nice to meet so many different moms to share our journey together.
    Meaghan http://raisingourfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi! just hopping by from the MOB society! I'm at the beginning of the boy mom adventure with a soon to be four year old! He's more interested in the matchbox cars now but can't wait till he and my husband build a potato canon! I have 3 sisters so all this boy-stuff is new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun job you must have! I hopped over from the MOB -- it's great to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, this is the son you spoke of at lunch today? It was really nice getting to know you and share the afternoon. I did not know you had a blog - I'm following you now and will read often!

    ReplyDelete