Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Educating the WholeHeated Child - Chapter 1 - Reflections

The Pelsers


If you haven't joined up with the Educating the WholeHearted Child discussion group over at ThePelsers.com, it's not too late to join in the fun and discussion!

As a former homeschool support leader for our county, I have spoken with quite a few new or thinking-about-homeschooling parents. MANY (I mean somewhere around 90% of them) wanted to know where they go to buy their package of homeschool teaching materials. Others asked if they go to their local school and pick up a box with what was required for third grade or fifth grade or whatever grade they needed.

Once they found out that there was not a set curriculum--there wasn’t a box to open and get started, that’s when my job as a support person began. I’d try to explain that homeschooling is not just about the books. It’s not found in a box from the local school. It’s a lifestyle in your home, it’s a commitment to Christ, it’s a ministry to your children. It’s going to involve prayer, research, patience, observation, spending time getting to know your child and their learning style—as the Clarksons point out--it's stewardship. And, it is God’s plan for them. They had to realize this most of all.

When I hung up with these parents, I often wondered how they would react with the first hint of difficulty. Would they turn and run to the nearest school or would they turn to God? Would they open the Bible and seek those verses that could be tucked into their hearts for those toughest homeschool moments?

I love what the Clarkson’s write on page 24, “You cannot buy a homeschooling kit that will make you instantly and easily successful. It is a long-term process for both you and for your children. Only a prayerful, deliberate commitment before God will sustain you through the difficulties and challenges you will face in that process.”

And there will be difficulties!

Over our 12 years of homeschooling, we’ve dealt with job layoffs, being the primary care takers for several family members with fatal diseases, and the death of a child. These were times when I had fleeting thoughts that perhaps it might be easier if I had my quiet time and free time during the day to cope with the extra errands, doctor’s appointments, or to grieve.

These were days when I didn’t understand how I could possibly take care of so many responsibilities, deal with so many different emotions, and still homeschool. How could I be a good steward for my children? There were days we didn’t even do any schoolwork! Truly, is that what God wanted? My children to be 4 lessons behind in math?

I love this scripture the Clarksons quote in their book.I remember writing it on a card and carrying it with me in college, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34 I’ve had it in my heart many times over the past 12 years of homeschooling during those times I doubted our homeschooling. Surely, we had missed something major—perhaps we didn’t cover World War I and II enough. Would my children be able to get up and attend college classes on time? Did they have the social and cognitive skills to hold down a job?

Crazy doubting, wasn’t it?

As I look back over the years of homeschooling and the struggles, now that my son has graduated and is in a good college, I realize we didn’t ruin him! God had a plan for our homeschooling—it involved some unexpected turns, but it worked out according to God’s will.

I recommend going through each scripture verse the Clarksons list in Chapter 1. I found it helpful to study one very few days. Write it in a prayer journal along with what specifically you need to pray for in that aspect of your homeschooling journey. Is it doubt you need help with? Is it committing you heart to being a good steward of your time?

Open your heart to God so you can best shepherd your child’s heart for Him.

3 comments:

  1. Your post really touched my heart, because I, too, have experienced many doubts and struggles along the way, wondering if we had covered enough schoolwork or if my children were getting "behind." You are an inspiration!

    I am going to purchase this book. I think we all need God's Word to get us through and to be a constant reminder of His Grace and Love.

    I was thrilled to read that you work for Apologia. This year will be our children's first with Apologia and I am looking forward to it. My younger two are literally chomping at the bit to get started, constantly picking up their new junior notebooking journals! :-)

    I am now a new follower of your blog and will look forward to reading of your new adventures as your son is in college.

    May God bless all of our homeschools!
    Lisa
    http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How (and why?!) did I not know you had this blog?! I started reading this book this week (since picking it up last week at the luncheon). I'm wondering if I should join in the blogging group. Hmmm . . . could I stick with it? You may have to e-mail me some encouragement!

    (I'm following you now!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. joined your blog and bookmarked the page- Wonderful post, btw- and spot on!

    I didn't know that God was calling me to homeschool- I had an extremely lucrative career in a niche market selling waterfront property to the "uber wealthy" - now I'm shopping with coupons and have traded my heels for flip flops! (and hiking shoes :) God is so smart- He knew exactly what our family needed and I'm so thankful I listened to His leading. Fear can so often get in the way when the enemy whispers his lies that we won't be able to do a thing right- Even now I sometimes need the reminder that my best is good enough and when I drop the ball- God is still faithful! have a wonderful week-

    ReplyDelete